Call us for Professional Development!1-800-940-2270
At Universal Publishing, we think like teachers because we are teachers. Universal Publishing's professional development workshops are developed and facilitated by passionate, on-staff educators.
As you know, the path to student achievement begins with effective teaching, and effective teaching comes from knowledgeable teachers. Universal Publishing recognizes that high-quality professional development can be difficult to come by; therefore, we are pleased to offer first-class professional training workshops that engage and encourage educators with new teaching strategies that actually work! Our convenient, cost-effective workshops are relevant, motivating, and practical. They provide teachers with the confidence to implement innovative, effective instruction in their classrooms.
Let our dedicated professionals guide your teachers and staff to classroom success!
Universal Publishing's Professional Development Workshops Exceed Expectations!
- Standards based. It is important to ensure students learn grade-appropriate material; therefore, each training session is fully aligned with both national and state learning standards.
- Research based. All of our products are research based and classroom tested. Our professional development workshops also reflect the latest research in teacher training strategies, ensuring the most up-to-date experience!
- Practical. Implement sensible strategies that work! Our professional development sessions are designed to be implemented right away, allowing you and your students earlier success!
- Applicable. Our professionals work with you and your school to determine the relevant needs of your classrooms and then formulate your workshops to best meet those needs.
- Easy implementation. Receive the tools needed to successfully implement new, effective strategies in your classrooms: the confidence to begin, teaching techniques, tips for evaluation, a free set of books, and more!
Handwriting: The First Step to Literacy Success!
Author, Master Penman, and Handwriting Specialist
Learn how to make handwriting instruction easy and something students will look forward to doing every day! This exciting, interactive workshop will give teachers new strategies for effective handwriting instruction. Mr. Wasylyk's engaging presentation style, profuse knowledge of handwriting, and years of experience make this a workshop you won't want to miss!
- One of the leading authorities on handwriting instruction in the United States
- Over 30 years of experience conducting professional development workshops
- Presents at international, national, and regional educational conferences
- Authored numerous handwriting programs used by millions of students nationwide
- Participated in research on a variety of important handwriting topics
- Taught handwriting in elementary classrooms
- Internationally known master penman
- Past president of International Association of Master Penman, Engrossers and Teachers of Handwriting (IAMPETH)
What You Will Learn
- The relationship between handwriting instruction and early reading success
- Letter recognition and developmentally appropriate letterforms
- Handwriting instruction: three steps to success!
- Why manuscript? Why cursive?
- The cursive connection: the importance of teaching cursive joinings
- Common problems and corrective techniques
- And more!
Writing in Mathematics
Janice Phelps, Ph.D.
Author and Educational Consultant
Teachers explore research-based strategies to increase writing and extended response in mathematics. Dr. Phelps guides you through the benefits and methods of utilizing math journals in your classroom. Find out what math journals can do for you and your students in this stimulating workshop!
- Two masters' degrees: one in clinical psychology and one in educational administration
- Ph.D. in administrative leadership and school administration
- Former elementary school teacher and school administrator
- Helped develop Universal Publishing's seven math journals
- Provides professional development for math journals
What You Will Learn
- Explore the latest research, standards, and practical applications of math journals
- Learn how to utilize math journals to successfully teach three essential components of math: symbolic/algebraic, visual/numerical, and writing
- Discover whole class, small groups, and individual instruction techniques
- Construct grade-level prompts
- View authentic student samples
- and more!
Vocabulary/Word Wall Seminar
Kelly Gilbert, M.A.T.
Author and Curriculum Developer
Research shows that classroom word walls are one of the best strategies for helping students build vocabulary. No classroom should be without one! Using word wall journals in conjunction with your classroom word wall will foster vocabulary independence by providing students with an effective study tool for personal reference both inside and out of the classroom. Mrs. Gilbert discusses learning strategies for vocabulary development and classroom implementation of word wall journals in this exciting workshop.
- Bachelor's degree in social science.
- Master's degree in teaching.
- Former primary teacher, junior high teacher, math specialist, curriculum developer, and remediation coordinator.
- Authored Word Wall Journal: Writing Words and Exploring Their Meanings and Usage (Book A and Book B).
- Provides professional development for Word Walls
What You Will Learn
- The research behind word walls
- How to effectively implement word wall journals and a word wall in your own classroom
- Strategies for making your word wall come to life, including
- Writing activities
- Interactive lessons
- Fun games for students to play
- And more!
- How to use your word wall and your word wall journals to get the most impact!
Sign up today to start receiving all of our exclusive offers and deals right to your inbox.